Category Archives: Start from Nafplio
Starting point: Nafplio
Distance : 13 km
Ways of crossing: On foot & by bicycle
Main sights: Acropolis of Αcronafplia , walking across the coast, wonderful sea view & of surrounding mountains
The route starts from the lighthouse of the picturesque harbor of Nafplio.
We take the paved Arvanitia’s path along the beach, passing beneath the bastion of the ‘Five Brothers’ which located at the end of Nafplio.It is the only bastion that has saved and in one version was built the 15th century by the Venetians. Another version says that it was built during the Ottoman occupation. It was used to protect the western part of the city with the castle of Mpourtzi. This name was taken from the five cannons which are still there. Continue on, in our right side we can see the sea and in the left side the Acronafplia. The Akronafplia was the Acropolis of Nafplion and the oldest of all the castles of the city. The Turks called Itch-Kale, which means inner fortress. It is a long, narrow rocky peninsula with 85m. height, 400m width and 900m. length and enters into the Gulf of Argolis. Continue on our path we pass from the church called Panagitsa, which was the secret school that operated during the Ottoman occupation. We arrive in Arvanitia beach and from there starts 2.5km dirty path to Karathona beach .On the left side we can see the foothills of Palamidi castle and on the right side the view of the sea and of the highest mountains of the Peloponnese. Mountain Artemision 1771m high, which is natural boundary in two prefectures Argolida, Arkadia, and the mountain Parnonas which is also a natural boundary in two prefectures Arcadia & Laconia, with an altitude 1940 meters.
After 2.5km the dirty path ends and we arrive at the sandy Karathona beach. We walk another 2.5 km across the beach under the shadows of the eucalyptus trees and we reach in a picturesque church with benches and roof. It is very suitable place to rest & to have lunch break with the sea view.
The path continues in a dirty 300m road and arrives in a light house which is the end of our route with a wonderful sea view.
The way back is from the same path.
Nafplio-Suburb Pronia-Agia Moni-The Lion of Bavarian- Nafplio
Starting point: Nafplio
Distance : 8 km
Ways of crossing : On foot, by bicycle
Main sights: Suburb of Pronia, olive fields, panoramic sea view & mountains view, middle-byzantine age monastery, the Lion of Bavarian.
• The route starts from the center of the city, we walk through narrow side streets and we pass across to the suburb of Pronia. This suburb occupies the north-eastern slopes of the Palamidi hill, is of special importance because it constitutes the first organized refugee settlement in modern Greece.
Starting in 1822, when Nafplio was liberated from the Turks, a large number of refuges flooded into the city, chiefly from Crete. This created a major housing problem. In 1828, Ioannis Kapodistrias together with the engineer, Stamatis Voulgaris, chose the Pronia area to create a new refuge settlement. It said that Kapodistrias chose the name Pronia, from the greek word pronoo, meaning to provide for, because the settlement provided a solution to the accommodation problem faced by the refugees.
Pronia survives to a certain extend today, with its low buildings and small houses, which were the most characteristic of the Kapodistrian period.
Noteworthy spots are the traditional cafes & the central church of the suburb.
We continue our walking eastern & from here the trail begins a smooth descend & we arrive to the famous local monastery of Agia Moni which is dating at the 12th century of the Middle Byzantine period .We can see its ancient spring, goldfishes, remarkable mosaics with frescoes & a great view of Palamidi’s castle & Nafplio city.
We return back from the same way with a small detour to the famous and an exceptional sculptured monument known as the lion of Bavaria which dates from 1840 & it is one of the most important of 19th century in Greece. The sculpture of this beautiful monument was the German Christian Siegel. This monument was commissioned by Ludwig of Bavaria, father of Otto first king of Greece, in memory of the Bavarian soldiers in Otto’s escort who died during the typhoid epidemic in Nafplio which devastated the area between 1833 & 1834.